We have all been there, i.e., we don’t know how but Chewing gum always and somehow sticks to our jeans and we didn’t come to know that. Well, there are many instances that are responsible for chewing gum to stick on our pants and dresses. We might have sat on a public seat without checking, leaned on a dirty railing or wall, or you might be sitting in a dirty area in the park, etc. There can be many reasons as to why you got that gum on your clothes. So, what to do? How to remove chewing gum from clothes? Well, if you try it with your bare hands, it will become quite difficult to remove the gum and as a result, it will cause a much bigger mess. But through various simple techniques, you will be able to remove it.
Not only clothes, but sometimes children put those chewing gums on the wall, floor, and other places through which they come under your shoes and on your clothes. Well, let us break it to you that washing clothes in washing machines won’t help much as far as chewing gums are concerned. So, if you are also experiencing somewhat of a sticky situation like this, read this guide about removing gum from clothes, walls, etc.
Ways to Remove Chewing Gum from Clothes
How to remove chewing gum from clothes? We are sure you have googled out a lot of ways regarding this and they were not of much use. The ways that we are going to discuss here are sure shot ways that will help you remove the gum effectively and efficiently. So, let us begin with the techniques!
- Freeze the Cloth in the Refrigerator
Chewing gums comprise some special polymers that react to the changes in temperatures. That is why, when we freeze the gum, it becomes hard and can be easily removed from the fabrics. If the gum is not deeply mashed in the fabric, this technique can be used to get rid of it.
- Take the cloth and put it in a freezer bag. Ensure that enough air is going in the bag.
- Seal the bag and put it in the freezer for 4-5 hours. Take out the bag and quickly remove the gum with the help of your fingernails.
- You can also use a blunt knife. Afterward, wash the fabric in the machine to get rid of the stain.
- Use Iron to remove the gum
Just as cooling, heating is also an amazing option to remove the gum. Heating makes the gum pliable and soft. After that, a pain relief scrub will help to remove the gum completely. Let us see how:
- Place the gum cloth on the cardboard and use a medium heat setting in the iron to remove the gum.
- The heat must soften the gum and must be transferred to the cardboard. Repeat the procedure in case some residue is left. Wash the fabric in the machine afterward.
- Hot Liquids
If the gum is completely mashed into the fabric, harsher treatments must be done to remove it. Don’t worry about the jeans as it is a resilient material.
- Boil some water and dip the gum-affected fabric in that water.
- Allow the gum to soften. Use a toothbrush to remove that sticky chewing gum.
- The same process can be done with vinegar as well.
- Peanut Butter
Peanut Butter contains some oils that can be helpful in removing chewing gum from clothes. The oils loosen the gum and help in peeling off the gum easily.
- Take some peanut butter and smear it over the affected area.
- Allow the butter to sit on the gum for 2-3 minutes.
- Scrape the area with a butter knife and further use a stain remover to remove the butter’s traces.
- Coconut Oil
If a gum has stuck to your synthetic fabric, then coconut oil is one of the best methods to get rid of it.
- Pour 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a cup and heat it a bit.
- Dip the fabric into the warm oil and further use a toothbrush to scrape it.
- Repeat this method until the gum comes out. Wash the garment afterward with warm water to remove the gum.
Alcohol is a solvent that dissolves the gum base. You can use this method with your delicate dresses where you can’t use the other methods mentioned above.
- Use a sponge and apply alcohol over the affected area. Scrub the gum with that sponge and wait for a few minutes.
- By using a blunt knife, remove the gum and further rinse the fabric.
- Duct Tape
Duct tapes are one of the quick-fix methods to remove gum when you don’t have much time. They are available everywhere, so you can carry them with you too!
- Press the sticky side of the duct tape firmly on the fabric.
- Make sure that the tape doesn’t stick to your cloth, because if it does, then it will take time to get it off the fabric.
- Peel off the tape and you will see that the gum has come off with it too.
- Repeat the process if it doesn’t.
So, these are some of the best ways regarding how to remove chewing gum from clothes. Washing clothes is not the only solution to get rid of the gum. We assure you that through these techniques, the gum will surely come off. Try these techniques and do tell us which was the easiest.
- What can dissolve chewing gum?
All the methods mentioned above are useful for removing gum from the fabric. As far as dissolving the gum is concerned, you can do it by boiling the vinegar and saturating the affected fabric in it. It will help in dissolving the gum faster.
- How can I get rid of gum from my jeans fast?
Rub alcohol on your jeans to get rid of it faster. Alcohol is a solvent that helps in dissolving the gum. After rubbing, you can remove the gum with the help of your fingernails.
- Does chewing gum come out in the wash?
No, chewing gum is washing-immune. It won’t come off if you just wash the garment. You need to use any of the techniques mentioned above to get rid of the gum completely. Try them now!
- Will these techniques ruin my clothes?
Of course, not! These techniques will ruin your clothes. Make sure that after using these methods you wash your clothes in the machine to get rid of stains if there are any!